Author Topic: AMF -> ?  (Read 11754 times)

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Amiga Music Preservation
AMF -> ?
« on: April 26, 2010, 21:23:01 »
Hi,

While checking the recent uploads, someone signing "AOTD3025" uploaded the musics from the PC musicdisk Drastic Scream (thanks !). His message was unclear regarding some conversion that happened. So I searched for the musicdisk and checked it out. It's full of musics in AMF format, the well known DMP internal format created by Otto Chrons.
 Obviously, conversion means AMF -> XM. Is there actually such a tool ? I have never been able to find any kind of official documentation for this format, so, never spent much time on it (and that was a looooong time ago).

Anyway, any light on this topic would be welcome :)

Cya
Sylvain

Offline Axxy

• View Profile
Re: AMF -> ?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 11:53:33 »
I have a few modules in AMF format, most in the unknown folder tbh.  ;D

Modplug loads them as Asylum/DSMI modules and seems to play them ok, whether its accurate is another matter.

Found a couple of converters here http://medlem.spray.se/converters/ amf2mod - amf2s3m - mod2amf
but no file format specifications

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 21:58:41 »
Hey there,

Thanks for this. Although, in the end, Milkytracker loads AMF "as is" :). And it seem to do it quite nicely !
 The question about a format description remains open, however.

Sylvain

Offline Axxy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:28:53 »
Not sure if this is what your looking for?

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 23:59:34 »
exactly :)
Thanks !

Offline deus-ex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 14:33:25 »
While checking the recent uploads, someone signing "AOTD3025" uploaded the musics from the PC musicdisk Drastic Scream (thanks !).

Which can be found here.

Obviously, conversion means AMF -> XM. Is there actually such a tool ?

No, but a converter for DSMI AMF -> S3M exists. The author of the above musicdisk composed the tunes using Screamtracker 3, btw.

Although, in the end, Milkytracker loads AMF "as is" :).

No, MilkyTracker doesn't load DSMI AMF, it supports the Asylum Music File format which is completely different to the DSMI Advanced Module Format by Otto Chrons.
The Asylum Music File format was used in the two games Crusader: No Remorse and Crusader: No Regret which contain music by Necros and Basehead. Both the original Asylum modules and the Fasttracker 8Ch .mod conversions are available at MODLAND:
Code: [Select]
ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Asylum/
ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Fasttracker/Basehead/
ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Fasttracker/Necros/

If you would like to have the original MOD2AMF(Asylum) converter written by Jason Ely (one of the Crusader games programmers) just let me know.
Also I have available several MOD2AMF(DSMI) converters by Otto Chrons (Version 1.02, 1.5, 1.8, 2.7 and 4.0).

Foo_DUMB is a Module player plugin for Foobar200 which can load and play both formats. Latest versions of the player and plugin are available here:
ftp://ftp.modland/pub/software/players/Windows/Foobar2000%20v1.0/

Open ModPlug Tracker loads and plays both AMF formats while MilkyTracker only supports the Asylum Music File format. Latest version of both trackers are available here:
ftp://ftp.modland/pub/software/trackers/Windows/MilkyTracker/
ftp://ftp.modland/pub/software/trackers/Windows/Open%20ModPlug%20Tracker/
Best regards
deus-ex

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 15:00:00 »
Obviously, conversion means AMF -> XM. Is there actually such a tool ?

No, but a converter for DSMI AMF -> S3M exists. The author of the above musicdisk composed the tunes using Screamtracker 3, btw.
do you happen to have the originals ?

Although, in the end, Milkytracker loads AMF "as is" :).

No, MilkyTracker doesn't load DSMI AMF, it supports the Asylum Music File format which is completely different to the DSMI Advanced Module Format by Otto Chrons.
The Asylum Music File format was used in the two games Crusader: No Remorse and Crusader: No Regret which contain music by Necros and Basehead. Both the original Asylum modules and the Fasttracker 8Ch .mod conversions are available at MODLAND:
ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Asylum/
ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Fasttracker/Basehead/
ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Fasttracker/Necros/
Yes, as a matter of fact Milkytracker _does_ load DSMI AMF files, as stated in the doc (check chapter 4) and as I could experienced myself.
Regarding Crusaders*, where are the AMF in the game ? I've found only FST when I checked it out. Might have overlooked something, but ...

Open ModPlug Tracker loads and plays both AMF formats while MilkyTracker only supports the Asylum Music File format. Latest version of both trackers are available here:
ftp://ftp.modland/pub/software/trackers/Windows/MilkyTracker/
ftp://ftp.modland/pub/software/trackers/Windows/Open%20ModPlug%20Tracker/
Open ModPlug .. hum .. too many bad times with *ModPlug*, so I'll take your words for granted on this one :).
Still, thanks for your thorough reply. You're just amazing with these PC players/trackers !

Cya
Sylvain

Offline deus-ex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 16:27:11 »
do you happen to have the originals ?

No, I don't have them either.

Yes, as a matter of fact Milkytracker _does_ load DSMI AMF files, as stated in the doc (check chapter 4) and as I could experienced myself.

Oh, you're right regarding the documentation. But for me the extracted AMF modules of the music disk won't load in MilckyTracker giving the error: unrecognized type/corrupt file.
Maybe your AMF versions are different then by any chance? You can find the extracted AMFs on MODLAND here:
ftp://ftp.modland/pub/modules/Digital%20Sound%20And%20Music%20Interface/Lasse%20Makkonen/

Regarding Crusaders*, where are the AMF in the game ? I've found only FST when I checked it out.

The music is stored in the subfolder Sound for both Crusader games. The games do not hold any FST modules originally so you seem to refer to modified CD images of the games? On MODLAND the AMF files are stored in the Asylum subfolder.
Best regards
deus-ex

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 17:44:40 »
Oh, you're right regarding the documentation. But for me the extracted AMF modules of the music disk won't load in MilckyTracker giving the error: unrecognized type/corrupt file.
Maybe your AMF versions are different then by any chance? You can find the extracted AMFs on MODLAND here:
ftp://ftp.modland/pub/modules/Digital%20Sound%20And%20Music%20Interface/Lasse%20Makkonen/
But they all load correctly aside the last one (melting mind - trance.amf)which is indeed corrupted. There are "RIX3" data at the end of the file :). It should be 263843 bytes from my calculation (which might be wrong, but it gets to be loaded in Milky ;) ).

The music is stored in the subfolder Sound for both Crusader games. The games do not hold any FST modules originally so you seem to refer to modified CD images of the games? On MODLAND the AMF files are stored in the Asylum subfolder.
I'll have another go at these games. I'm very surprised. There were several versions ? I recall checking CDs, but ...
Ah, well, I'll surf around and see what I can find. Thanks for the tips.

Sylvain

Offline deus-ex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 18:36:17 »
But they all load correctly aside the last one (melting mind - trance.amf)which is indeed corrupted.

Ahhhh, now I know why you are able to load them in MilkyTracker while I don't. Obviously you are not using the latest release v0.90.85 from January, 1st 2010? For me the latest release (Windows binary running on Windows 7 64-bit) does not load DSMI AMF modules but the previous build 0.90.80 works fine. And I was just about to start I'm ready for funny farm, not being able to load the modules while you keep telling me it works... ;D

There were several versions?

I do not know of any other version, it was just a guess because you were talking about FST modules included with the games when I'm 100% sure that they don't, I have the CDs of both games and rechecked them today. ;)
Best regards
deus-ex

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 19:06:09 »
Ahhhh, now I know why you are able to load them in MilkyTracker while I don't. Obviously you are not using the latest release v0.90.85 from January, 1st 2010? For me the latest release (Windows binary running on Windows 7 64-bit) does not load DSMI AMF modules but the previous build 0.90.80 works fine. And I was just about to start I'm ready for funny farm, not being able to load the modules while you keep telling me it works... ;D
Ah, yes, forgot to say that important point. I'm indeed using the 0.90.80. Sorry for the confusion. In fact, I didn't know about another release ;).

I do not know of any other version, it was just a guess because you were talking about FST modules included with the games when I'm 100% sure that they don't, I have the CDs of both games and rechecked them today. ;)
Damn, this is incredible ! Just, where did I get those on AMP ?!? Now, I'm lost  :-\. I'll give it another go. The process of digging out these CDs is still going on ;)
I'll keep you posted. I might also add this DSMI AMF format into prowiz. It could save some time :).

Sylvain

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 20:41:47 »
Ok, could grab Crusader:No Regret. full of AMF, as you rightfully pointed out.
Hum ... this clears up at least the source. Now regarding AMP, I'm not sure ;).
Maybe I checked the files we had and tagged them according to titles .. that _was_ quite some time ago.
I'll verify again.

Offline Saga

• View Profile
    • Saga Musix
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 22:21:18 »
Open ModPlug .. hum .. too many bad times with *ModPlug*, so I'll take your words for granted on this one :).
Thanks for all the praise! OpenMPT is not the same thing as ModPlug Tracker at all, I have greatly improved support for most formats, including AMF.

On the serious side, though...
Also I have available several MOD2AMF(DSMI) converters by Otto Chrons (Version 1.02, 1.5, 1.8, 2.7 and 4.0).
deus-ex, where can I find these converters? I'd like to check a few things but that works best if I can just create test files and convert them to AMF and then decode them again.

Offline deus-ex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 13:18:57 »
Hi Saga,  (what happened to the Musix? ;D )

where would you like me to send or upload them to?
Best regards
deus-ex

Offline Saga

• View Profile
    • Saga Musix
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 13:56:07 »
I'll send you a PM.

And the Musix is on vacation. ;)