Support / Feedback > Support / Feedback

AMP - broken display of characters in artist profiles

<< < (2/3) > >>

Crown:
OK. danke schön herr doktor.  :)

I check the ex handles right away

[EDIT] ex.handles are working fine. 

jeeeeepeeeeeee

Ijon_Tichy:
Hi, bringing this old topic back to attention.

Several of Polish composers' names are littered with incorrect characters. They should be replaced with the correct ones or at least with their Latin equivalents if the former is not possible for any reason.

These are the chars I found. The order is:

current char > should be > Latin equivalent:

â > ą > a
ë > ę > e
î > ł > l
î > ł > l
Î > Ł > L
à > Ł > L
ï > ń > n
ñ > ń > n
ô > ś > s
Ô > Ś > S
Û > Ż > Z

I can provide a list of real names involved if that helps.

Asle:
Hi,

 Perhaps, the main issue is that there's no global policy over the real names, here. Some are exact and some are in "Latin equivalent", as you put it. I would rather be exact, but I guess this can render the search difficult. Mainly because I believe users will search with Latin equivalent instead of exact strings.
 I'll have to think about this.

 In the meantime, can you perhaps point me to the most obvious cases ?

Cheers
Sylvain

deus-ex:
Bonjour Monsieur 100.000 Mods, ;D

I hope you are doing fine. With regards to MODLAND's artistlist when I find an artist is referred to by different writings of his real name I put the correct name (which may hold specific characters) into the real name entry, the more common (latin style) one gets added to the Ex.Handles. Maybe this is an acceptable solution for AMP as well? Perhaps AMP's artist search engine would require an update to reflect this (i.e. when searching for Real name also check Ex.Handles entries for a match).

Ijon_Tichy:

--- Quote from: Asle on June 16, 2014, 08:59:08 ---Hi,

 Perhaps, the main issue is that there's no global policy over the real names, here. Some are exact and some are in "Latin equivalent", as you put it. I would rather be exact, but I guess this can render the search difficult. Mainly because I believe users will search with Latin equivalent instead of exact strings.
 I'll have to think about this.

 In the meantime, can you perhaps point me to the most obvious cases ?

--- End quote ---

Fixing the characters surely wouldn't grossly improve "searchability", but it wouldn't make it worse either, with the gain of having the names properly spelt (they really look odd to a native speaker).

Not sure what the most obvious cases would be as they're all equally obvious to me. ;) So maybe I'll just provide a representative sample:

Adam Trëdowski - > Adam Trędowski
Paweî Bogdaïski -> Paweł Bogdański
Rafaî Hencel -> Rafał Hencel
Îukasz Siedlecki -> Łukasz Siedlecki
Sîawomir Giergielewicz -> Sławomir Giergielewicz
Damian Bâczek -> Damian Bączek
Michaî Ôlusarczyk -> Michał Ślusarczyk
Piotr Leônikowski -> Piotr Leśnikowski
Rafal Lipiñski -> Rafał Lipiński (first name latinized)
Michaî Kozusznik -> Michał Kożusznik (last name latinized)
Ãukasz Kaluski -> Łukasz Kaluski (last name probably latinized)
Michaî Slusarczyk -> Michał Slusarczyk (last name most likely latinized)
Tomasz Ûoînierzczyk -> Tomasz Żołnierzczyk (last name most likely misspellt besides wrong chars)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version