Author Topic: Digibooster Pro v3: Public Beta Vesion  (Read 8806 times)

Offline Crown

• Administrator
  • Cryptoburners^AMP
    • View Profile
    • Amiga Music Preservation
Digibooster Pro v3: Public Beta Vesion
« on: February 14, 2011, 16:36:23 »
If you'd like to test the first public beta version of DigiBooster 3 on AmigaOS 4 and/or MorphOS then please click on the link below.

Note that this is NOT a release candidate - many important features are not yet implemented and will be added in the future. The aim of this beta release is to check stability of the program core on different hardware and software configurations and gather user suggestions and oppinions.

http://digiboosterpro.de/downloadse.php

[EDIT] The 680xx version is now available for download too.

Have fun
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:12:58 by Crown »

Offline Ijon_Tichy

• View Profile
Re: Digibooster Pro v3: Public Beta Vesion
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 00:04:37 »
I did some testing of the early 68k versions - now there's neither time nor AOS4/MOS-capable machine.  ::)

I was a bit disappointed by the absence of the 8th octave which caused some 2.x modules to be played incorrectly...

Offline Crown

• Administrator
  • Cryptoburners^AMP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:04:09 »
Thanks for the inputs Ijon.  :)

Did you inform the developers about that issue?

Offline krashan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 21:38:25 »
I was a bit disappointed by the absence of the 8th octave which caused some 2.x modules to be played incorrectly...

This bug is fixed since some months. You can't enter anything above H-7 in the tracker, but the player plays up to H-8.

It seems that original DigiBooster authors have made a big mistake placing the base note of an instrument at C-4 instead of C-3 or even C-2. Moving up in the scale means audio upsampling, which gives better quality than downsampling, especially when simple interpolation algorithms are used. Also AIFF/WAVE loader of DBPro 2 ignored real sampling rate and forced 8363 Hz. When musicans loaded for example 44.1 kHz samples, they were "transposed" by this fact 4 octaves down, then they were played at very high octaves, to get the original pitch.

DigiBooster 3 preserves sampling rate of loaded instrument. It will also provide better resampling algorithms (may be used realtime on PPC machines, for 68k it is better to resample an instrument offline). Then I hope, C-1 to H-3 range will be usable again.

Offline Crown

• Administrator
  • Cryptoburners^AMP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 10:31:03 »
Hi Krashan,

Thanks for these clarifications.

Do not hesitate to share some more infos about Digibooster as many people use it around here.  :)

Offline krashan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 13:21:35 »
Do not hesitate to share some more infos about Digibooster as many people use it around here.  :)

Well, DigiBooster 3 is developer for 4 years already, but the final release is expected this year. The program is written from scratch in C (DigiBooster Pro 2.x has been coded in m68k asm, making it unportable to "nextgen" Amiga[like] systems). It uses MUI as its GUI engine with addition of skinning feature (a skin or theme consists of MUI preset, program own config, bitmaps and fonts, it may be switched automatically while running the program).

The main advantage of the new GUI is scalability, it is no more fixed at 640 pixels. Then users may take advantage of nowadays big LCD displays and have 20 or even more tracks displayed (depends on selected font). On the other hand user is not forced to use this famous 6-pixel font in pattern editor, any font may be selected via MUI preferences, including antialiased ones, where available.

Another big thing is the new player engine. It is written from scratch too. It is compatible with DigiBooster Pro 2, but there are some fixes improvements and changes. The player does not depend on AHI anymore and is written in portable ANSI C. It means we will have 100% verbatim replayers for Windows and Linux for example. Portamento step has been tied to music scale now - it is always 1/8 of semitone now, regardless of instrument base frequency and mixing frequency. All portamento effects are then transposable. All "fine" commands (using xF or Fx parameter, like fine volume slide AFx/AxF) have been made really fine. What it means? Let's assume standard $06 speed. Typical A01 slide will change the volume by 6 units per row (one unit at every tick). Fine AF1 slide in DigiBooster 2 changes the volume by one unit, but it is done once. DigiBooster 3 is able to do fractional volumes and changes the volume by 1/6 of unit every tick, so the final effect is the same as in DBPro 2, but much smoother. This applies to fine portamentos too. Fractional volumes and pitches automatically follow speed changes made by Fxx, so after F0C for example, AF1 changes volume by 1/12 of volume unit every tick.

The player is highly modular - it allows for different types of instruments (multisample ones, or realtime synthesis), different types of instrument effects, track effects and postprocessing effects. They will be added in following updates of the program.

As the player engine does mixing and resampling on its own, the quality of sound is no more degraded by AHI. For now simple, linear interpolation is used for resampling, but optional bandlimited sinc() one will be added. DigiBooster3 can work with mixing frequencies from 8 to 192 kHz including. Mixing and volume-boost is lossless (uses 32-bit arithmetic) and possibility to render the module in 24/32 bits will be provided. The player will also do its own DSP-echo (so it is better kept turned off in AHI). Individual echo settings for every track will be possible as a bonus.

As you can guess, all this comes at a price. DigiBooster 3 has higher hardware requirements compared to DBPro 2. It is generally aimed at "nextgen" Amiga PowerPC based systems, or classic Amigas emulated with WinUAE. While one can run the program even on stock A1200 extended with 4 MB of fast memory, for real use 68060 @ 50 MHz and a graphics board are required. Tests on Amigas have proven, that even 68040 simply does not make it. On the other hand even the weakest "nextgen" system, which is Efika 5200B, will allow for normal work with 64 tracks. Any PowerPC G4 machine will be more than enough, as I'm an experienced AltiVec programmer and will put it in a good use. WinUAE on any nowadays moderate class PC will run the thing nicely as well.

Feel free to ask more questions :-).

Offline Crown

• Administrator
  • Cryptoburners^AMP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 18:08:21 »
Geez, that's what I call valuable inputs.

I did not you guys had recoded DigiBooster from scratch, this is really impressive. Is this being done aside your daily work?

Now I understand better why a 68060 is almost mandatory for running the beast. ;)

How are you planning to deal with releases for all next gen amigas?

Btw, it should run smoothly on natami, right?

Offline krashan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 18:59:24 »
Is this being done aside your daily work?

Yes. It is the main reason why it took so much time. Anyway most of the hard work is done.

How are you planning to deal with releases for all next gen amigas?

DigiBooster 3 is released for three platforms: AmigaOS 3 (M68k processors), AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS (PowerPC processors). Dealing with 3 systems is not that difficult, as they are very similar. In fact all three versions are compiled from single codebase (some parts of code are optional or system-specific). The "base" development system is MorphOS. AmigaOS 4 version is compiled and tested under AmigaOS 4.1 running on Pegasos 2 machine. AmigaOS 3 version is cross-compiled on MorphOS and then tested on WinUAE.

Btw, it should run smoothly on natami, right?

It is too early to say. From what I know, current NatAmi uses original 68060 processor with unknown (to me) clock speed. The real preformance of their FPGA based N68050 and the whole system is hard to estimate now. If we assume that N68050 has performance equal to 68060 @ 133 MHz, it should be enough for 48 or so tracks, depending on effects used. Due to DB3 design it is also possible to use the SuperPaula chip directly, bypassing AHI, which will give some gain on CPU usage. We should wait for customer NatAmi version however.

Offline Crown

• Administrator
  • Cryptoburners^AMP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 19:38:36 »
I am going to test it on peg1.  :)

you guys rock.

Offline daxb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 11:30:04 »
About speed. The only effect on DB2 that took a lot of CPU power is DSP. All other effects (commands) working fine on a low 68k. The other point is the amount of channels that have to be mixed to an audio stream. So DB2 on 060 is fine with a lot of channels and DSP.

DB3 seems to be much slower as krashan already told. Unfortunately not useable on classic 68k systems. So the target sytemes are PPC and emulator. I guess (depends on what new effects/functions are coming/used) you can easy get 100% CPU usage at least on PPC. It is just a kind of nature.

Does there exists a feature list with new effects/commands (vst plug-in, ...)? I remember the very old one for DB2 was alreday very long. :)

Offline Crown

• Administrator
  • Cryptoburners^AMP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 11:34:31 »
Ok, that's very interesting.  :)

Asle might have such a list.

Offline krashan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 19:02:07 »
Does there exists a feature list with new effects/commands (vst plug-in, ...)? I remember the very old one for DB2 was alreday very long. :)

No new effects are planned for now. They may be added in future 3.x updates. The 3.0 version goal is to provide the complete list of commands of DBPro 2.x. The documentation of commands will be much more extensive than in DBPro 2.x manual. It is not complete for now, but has been included to the public beta.

About VST - what plugins would you run if DB3 had VST host implemented?

Offline daxb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 12:22:26 »
Yes, it is a good decision to make a stable V3 compatible with V2 without new features. After that the PPC should be bored, so it needs input. :) The problem on 68k was that Tracker never got CPU hungry features because of the slow 68k. With PPC you have some more power to waste. ;)

About your VST question: I`ve to say I don`t know because I`ve only heared about in theory. As far as I know there exists free and commercial plugins. Free (open source) can be ported/adapted without much work for you and other developers (yes, other should be able to wrote there own. You won`t have the time for it). An open interface would be necessary. First I would look on other systems to check out for later use. Then the decision is easier to select which plugin. I would love some filters, cut-off, resonance, distortion, compressor. :D Someone also like chip-sound generator or sample generator in general.