Author Topic: Poseidon2 by Uncle Tom  (Read 5673 times)

Offline Jazzcat

• View Profile
Poseidon2 by Uncle Tom
« on: January 25, 2012, 13:38:32 »
Some time ago I've decided to check all Uncle Tom's modules to recall the tunes I liked and find the ones that I don't know. It turned out to be a great idea and I discovered lots of never-heard-before tracks. What an insanely talented guy he was! I have a question regarding Poseidon2.mod though. It's absent on AMP for some reason, but you can check it at Modland ftp: ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Protracker/Uncle%20Tom/poseidon%202.mod              Is this really his song? Doesn't sound like anything he did before and the samples seems to be somewhat newer and more modern.

Offline Axxy

• View Profile
Re: Poseidon2 by Uncle Tom
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 15:43:20 »
Some time ago I've decided to check all Uncle Tom's modules to recall the tunes I liked and find the ones that I don't know. It turned out to be a great idea and I discovered lots of never-heard-before tracks. What an insanely talented guy he was! I have a question regarding Poseidon2.mod though. It's absent on AMP for some reason, but you can check it at Modland ftp: ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Protracker/Uncle%20Tom/poseidon%202.mod              Is this really his song? Doesn't sound like anything he did before and the samples seems to be somewhat newer and more modern.

It would seem so. I have the poseidon.mod, but unlike Modlands version, mine has the credit Uncle Tom/Razor 1911 in the first 2 sample slots, and a slightly different filesize. I didnt have the Poseidon 2.mod, but it does have a credit in the first line to Uncle Tom.

But I think a lot of the trackers didnt just write one style of mod, and created quite a variety of sounds with their tunes. I think if you listened to all Dr Awesome, Jester, Moby, Purple Motion, Jogeir Liljedahl tunes, and countless others, I think you'll find very few stick to one sound.

Offline Crown

• Administrator
  • Cryptoburners^AMP
    • View Profile
    • Amiga Music Preservation
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 19:16:36 »
Guys,

This is definitively not from Uncle Tom:

breath of the muse from my Belgian friend Arpegiator!!

http://amp.dascene.net/downmod.php?index=3818

Case closed!  :)

cheers

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 19:30:14 by Crown »

Offline Axxy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 22:48:25 »

Agree with Crown, I have the Arpegiator module. Looks like the Uncle Tom one is a dupe. Nice spot...

Think I'll get some more of Uncle Toms mods, been years since I listened to that Scoopex tune Madness Took Me......

Offline Axxy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 15:27:18 »
Ok, as we're talking abut Uncle Tom!  ;D (cannot believe I only had 7 modules by this person)...

The 3 Spell Amelioration modules.

Now the Spell V3.0 unf.mod is credited to Nightshade & Uncle Tom, whereas the other two to Uncle Tom.  Listening to them, they all sound the same. Anyone know the story behind the 3 mods?

Either they are all a co-op, or the Spell v3.0 unf.mod is a remix by Nightshade...  That make sense?

Offline Crown

• Administrator
  • Cryptoburners^AMP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 10:01:30 »
Hi Axxy,

Sure I have the story of that mod. It was send to me by Andrew Barnabas (Nightshade) and he explained that this was a slightly enhanced version of Uncle Tom's module.  :)

Offline Jazzcat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 11:54:59 »
Guys,

This is definitively not from Uncle Tom:

http://amp.dascene.net/downmod.php?index=3818

Haha, I love you guys! :) Crown, you and Asle are walking encyclopedias of Amiga music!

Axxy, you really have only 7 Uncle Tom's mods? :) Well, here's a brief list of my fav songs from him, I hope you'll pick something out of this list: Atmosphere,  Consert in Space, Leander 1.1, Occ-san-geen, Poseidon, Savannah, Spell Amelioration, Toi-tei.

Another interesting issue... I've discovered that Nighshade "Double Dragon 2" module from Modland is a dupe of Uncle Tom's "Atmosphere". The size is slightly different, but it's the same track.

Offline Axxy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 13:08:49 »
Axxy, you really have only 7 Uncle Tom's mods?

I had a lot of modules (pt) on the Amiga back in the day, the collecting bug didn't really start until after I got my first PC. Storage issues back then probably the biggest drawback, do you remember floppy disks?  ;D  Hundreds of disks with modules compressed with powerpacker........ (those were the days, haha)...

The bulk of my collection is PC, but nostalgia made me collect Amiga modules too.  I only collect listenable, worthwhile and proper modules!!  ::)

If the module sounds crap in the first 10 seconds, it probably is..... delete!
If it plays for less than 30 seconds, it aint a module!.....  delete! (use a sample or wav instead)....
If it makes my ears bleed!!....... delete!
If it contains samples from ST- disks ................. DELETE!! arrrgh!

Honestly, I've probably deleted more modules than I have collected over the years.  What I do now is, if I find an old Amiga artist I like, I'll download their other tunes and have a listen (or delete if thats case maybe).  So, it's unusual to collect all mods by a certain tracker unless I like them.

And also, yep, that does sound like another dupe. I presume the Nightshade one is the original?

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 10:59:39 »
Another interesting issue... I've discovered that Nighshade "Double Dragon 2" module from Modland is a dupe of Uncle Tom's "Atmosphere". The size is slightly different, but it's the same track.
I checked and for once, modland is wrong :).
The music from the game Double Dragon 2 was indeed made by Uncle Tom :
http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Double_Dragon_II_-_The_Revenge

This very music is the file you refer to on modland, which corresponds to AMP's music MOD.atmosphere-alt
for the record(s).
- Nightshade made the musics for Double Dragon 3
- MOD.atmosphere (on AMP) comes from Amazing Tunes 2 by SAE.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Sylvain