Author Topic: Weird problem with this s3m and modplug  (Read 8361 times)

Offline Axxy

• View Profile
Weird problem with this s3m and modplug
« on: November 08, 2012, 22:15:43 »
Just downloaded this s3m by SoulGrabber which won the multichannel compo at Bytefall 96...

This s3m plays fine in most players I have tried, even Modplug. Problem is, when I hit Details and then select the Sample tab, Modplug Player just crashes.  I've never noticed this behaviour from any mod before or any of the 72k+ mods in my collection. Is there anyone who can take a look at it and explain why this one mod does this, or even possibly fix it, if it's a s3m problem.

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Amiga Music Preservation
Re: Weird problem with this s3m and modplug
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 23:22:03 »
Nice music :). Must add this music to AMP, where we don't even know this author ...
Well, I don't see the problem with a quick scan.

Offline Axxy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 08:18:54 »
Nice music . Must add this music to AMP, where we don't even know this author ...

Just uploaded a few others by members of the same group. The m.o.o.d.s mod has some of SoulGrabber' previous aliases and his main alias, but I've never seen a mod by DJ Pushkin to be honest.

Well, I don't see the problem with a quick scan

I've tried other players and they all show the sample texts fine, just this weird behaviour in modplug player on this one mod only, strange!

Offline deus-ex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 13:30:14 »
I've tried other players and they all show the sample texts fine, just this weird behaviour in modplug player on this one mod only, strange!

I've checked the module with several players and trackers and can confirm the issue. Looking at the sample text I figured that the special character '@' might be the root cause and it turned out I was right.

For example replacing '@' with an underscore '_' prevents the Modplug crash. It's not necessary to replace every '@' though, trying lots of combinations I found that replacing just the last 3 occurrences (sample 53-55) is the most efficient solution. Find the Modplug-fixed module attached.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 13:33:07 by deus-ex »
Best regards
deus-ex

Offline Axxy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 22:07:48 »
For example replacing '@' with an underscore '_' prevents the Modplug crash. It's not necessary to replace every '@' though, trying lots of combinations I found that replacing just the last 3 occurrences (sample 53-55) is the most efficient solution. Find the Modplug-fixed module attached.

Thanks m8  :)

I just assumed they were just sample text and didn't have much meaning that could effect something like the player crash.

Offline Saga

• View Profile
    • Saga Musix
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:52:22 »
There's no magic code in MPP that would make it crash because of too many @ signs in the sample texts. ;D I assume that the sample name strings were not sanitized (0-terminated) properly in MPP - this kind of business was an inconsistent mess in the ModPlug codebase for a long time. Most likely ST3 simply 0-terminates the string properly when editing it, which gets rid of the crash in MPP.

Offline deus-ex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 17:11:58 »
Hi Saga,

in lack of a "Thank you" button here's my written Thank you to you. :)
Best regards
deus-ex