Author Topic: Xtended by Virtual Crew  (Read 8745 times)

Offline Axxy

• View Profile
Xtended by Virtual Crew
« on: February 11, 2013, 20:56:32 »
Been having some fun looking through some old demos etc. and came across this strange one.

Xtended Dimensions by Virtual Crew from the demo section of Scenest 96.....

The zip is really a rar file -> exe.  Unfortunately I have been able to see the demo run properly in Dosbox, or at least manage to display the demo on screen, its mostly off the screen..

Anyway, it does contain an interesting remix of Captain' "Space Debris" which i've ripped but with no credits. Can anyone get the demo to run properly on their machine to see if it mentions who's remixed it?  (possibly Netrunner)...

Also, just for arguments sake, I saved the s3m out in several trackers/players including Milky, OMPT and MPP and an xm version, but funnily enough, each one is a diferent filesize...

space debris-netmix 1.s3m   576,697
space debris-netmix 2.s3m   572,352
space debris-netmix 3.s3m   576,688
space debris-netmix.xm   581,271

@Asle does Prowiz have a screamtracker ripper/saver yet?  ;)

Mod Attached.. njoy..

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Amiga Music Preservation
Re: Xtended by Virtual Crew
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:56:39 »
I'll have a look at this demo (once I locate it :) )
The file you provided is sounding very strange. I'd go as far as say "wrong".
And yes, PW rips S3M but not in a public release. There's one nasty bug that, occasionally, leads to bad size computation when the S3M isn't the first thing in the file to scan. Ah, anyway ...

-- EDIT
I installed UNIVBE and it _somewhat_ ran. Credits are
ModPlay/GFX : Netrunner

Now, AMP is poor when it comes to this author. We store 3 (!). The "unknown" one (country wise) is where I stored the Scenest'96 compo music entry. So, I'll put this one here as well.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:26:32 by Asle »

Offline Axxy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:07:27 »
I couldn't run it at all with sound, so I have no idea how it sounds in the demo, only what I ripped. Hence the use of "interesting" in my first post. Also why I saved it a couple of times to see if in fact it was a good/bad rip, even now i'm not convinced it's a good one.

Sorry to mention sources, but demos I usually get from Pouet or Scene Org....

In this case, Prowiz would have been nice to have tested over the s3m on its own, due to the inconsistancies with the other players/trackers I tried, but I wouldn't mind it being able to scan a file sometime in the future.

I only had 2 mods by Netrunner, which AMP already has. I do have another mod called Ravenloft.it by Netrunner released at Scenest 97, but I can't see it mentioned in the results.txt.

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Amiga Music Preservation
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 11:34:35 »
Hey Axxy,
 Couldn't get the the sound on as well. Didn't try too much.
 I located the demo easily enough. Shouldn't have mentioned it ;)
 Regarding the good rip, well, I've stored my own and I guarantee it's accurate (same as yours it seems, size wise). Can't really see why various trackers would change the size, but ...
 Regarding PW, I won't be spread as is. Simply because there's too much instability. I can live with that but I doubt others would. Let me try to clean it up a bit but disabling various ongoing devs and maybe I could spread that to a short range audience.

Last, I've run through the remaining demos/64k for this party and I'm done as far as this party is concerned.

BTW, thanks for pointing this out :)
Cheers

Offline deus-ex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 13:05:05 »
Also, just for arguments sake, I saved the s3m out in several trackers/players including Milky, OMPT and MPP and an xm version, but funnily enough, each one is a diferent filesize...

Different trackers usually will lead to different results, based on the level and quality of implementation for a certain format. You should try to resave a module in question with the same tracker and version it was created in. Loading the module with XMPlay reveals that it was created with Scream Tracker v.3.20 which is technically equivalent to v3.21 in terms of the module writing routines. I just checked both v3.20 and 3.21, the file size remains exactly the same like the one found in the XD demo.
Best regards
deus-ex

Offline Axxy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 16:12:52 »
You should try to resave a module in question with the same tracker and version it was created in

In an ideal world I would, but it was just a quick resave in window trackers/players because, as you can hear, it just doesn't sound right, and tbh, it really isn't that bad if but a bit repetitive.

As for the s3m thing with Prowiz, I don't mind testing  ;D  (not expecting it to rip s3m from files, but it would come in handy for old demos occassionally)....

Offline deus-ex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 16:51:03 »
[...] because, as you can hear, it just doesn't sound right [...]

A wild theory: Maybe this was done on purpose to tune the module for the internal replay routine used in the demo? I.e. maybe the unaltered module sounded off when used in the demo and it was easier/quicker to edit the module than trying to fix the replay routines. Typically production of a demo is finished only at the demo party place where it it is meant to be released due to time constraints the demo groups face during production.

Resaving a module won't magically fix a tune which sounds off, it's more likely that the module will take further damage when resaved using a different tracker.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 19:31:50 by deus-ex »
Best regards
deus-ex