Author Topic: Dezacrator / Crystal Warrior's Musicdisk by Fantasy (Amiga)  (Read 47389 times)

Offline Axxy

• View Profile
This production has just appeared on Pouet. Anyone heard of this musician?

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=61096

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Amiga Music Preservation
Re: Dezacrator / Crystal Warrior's Musicdisk by Fantasy (Amiga)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 05:41:55 »
file isn't available anymore, apparently.

--EDIT
available anew. file contains 9 protracker and a text file, describing next to nothing, as far as useful information is concerned :)
weblink provided in said text file isn't working.
All musics have title finishing with "-cw", probably in reference to "crystal warrior", nick apparently of the author at the time of composing.
- AMP has only one music finishing with "-cw" and it's by Rellinker
- No author known to have been in Agile, The Silents and Fantasy
- In fact, no author is known as Crystal Warrior (yet)

Last, the text file contains vague information related to Amiga prods, however, none is known to contain either of the 9 musics (yet) at Kestra.

An individual registered yesterday to AMP with the nick Dezacrator. Maybe we'll have more insight :)

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:41:43 by Asle »

Offline Axxy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 12:47:46 »
Yeah, I managed to download the archive and the mods are not too bad at all.  From the text file, it's not really clear if they are originals, or whether they have been re-tracked with modern trackers. For mods created back in 88/89, only using ST-xx samples, they sound quite good, usually, I just hear those ST-xx samples and just delete the mod lol....

I had the same problem trying to find info on him.

PS.  He has created an account over at MA and started uploading some mods there. Maybe he can drop by and upload them here too.

PPS. Is the ftp back up yet?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:56:40 by Axxy »

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 11:32:08 »
He created a second entry in this forum :).
I've sent him a mail now, asking for details.

And sadly, no, the FTP is still down.

Offline Scott Lee

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 00:21:27 »
Greetings all!

I suppose the best way to do this is the back story!

My first computer system was a commodore 64 1982. During these years I had purchased the fast Westridge "300 baud modem" (upgrading not too long after) and Ran a C-NET BBS here on the west coast called (Commodore Connection) under the Sysop handle (Micro Pro). It was semi popular though got alot more traffic when I converted the names to (The Druid's Keep with my Sysop alas was Crystal Warrior) in Westlake, Ca USA. During this time, being a drummer and guitarist, I was heavily also into composing SIDs based music! It was my first taste into computer based (sequencing) where I could conduct my own music without band members! I was hooked.

A bit of time passed and my friend Orion (Mage) dad just bough a new computer system as he was a developer at the time called a "Commodore Amiga 1000" from 1985-86 and instantly was blown away. The programs I remember most were Starglider 1, Marble Madness and seeing Juggler. It just blew my mind so that summer I worked incredibility hard at 14 years old, doing whatever I could to save to buy an amiga for myself. One other piece of software I also was introduced to the original soundtracker 1.0 from Karsten Obarski! I think this was 1987 (No wiki heh) I loved the Crystal Hammer soundtrack (Hey and it had part of my name!)

Finally after selling my Commodore 64, I bought a Amiga 500 the day it was available here in the states on the west coast! I was in computer bliss. After much like what I did on the c64 calling all over the states meeting fellow BBS users (I remember taking a few times via conference calling with both US and europe demoscene users.Ya they would be up for 3 days - the age of no internet!) I was briefly put into the group Crusaders from the canadian HQ I remember the Sysop really liked my Oblivion.mod and wanted me to demo write in the scene. Throughout this time I was writing alot of mods.

Shortly after I met Carmine / Crypt Roamer (Fantasy) and He useds the song "Crystal's Realm" for his demowork. Carmine was about the only statewide demoscene coder at the time I knew, most were european based and my "phreaking oversea calling abilities" did no reach that far ;) I remember seeing the DOC Demons demo and just pushed me more to do more mods in the demoscene (Wanna be a cat.mod and Fleshbrain/Dr. Awesome music were some of my favorites)

Been looking for the fantasy demo:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2i7y35i.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNSx_fgtq1o

Josh / Quinn ran the Agile / Silents WHQ BBS  Here is a conversation was just had on Facebook as I have been activity looking for the demos from long ago. I have been speaking to him recently as you see below about finding the names and demos.
http://i50.tinypic.com/f4fi0.png

My last Amiga I had was a 3000T of which I still have the HD access threw Wine/Winuae on the Mac. I've kept in contact with Bjorn Lynne, Romeo Knight, a few others on my Facebook. I cant believe when I wrote my first c64 SID that was 30 years ago! Unfortunately all my SIDs were lost, sorry about that due to a HD crash. I used both Crystal Warrior / Dezacrator for my handle/alas so you can find works on both as  composer / gaming handle.

Here are some more screens of my last Amiga 3000T:
http://i48.tinypic.com/34fipue.png - Main Workbench
http://i47.tinypic.com/2ljhymc.png - Mod Directory

After the amiga I started working for video games / TV / Film. While working for Volition Inc I did the soundtrack to the video game "Summoner" from THQ as well as help with Red Faction / Freespace 2. Since doing TV / Film and some other game companies over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8tsuYH1AIk - The histroy of Volition. Youll see my picture @9:32. Horrible I know!

Thats the end of my novel! Thanks for reading all this I wanted to be a bit more informative about the history. Currently Im working on the Video Game soundtrack for Repulze from Sweedish developer Pixelbite if you would like to hear some current music!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

Best Regards,

Scott Lee
SFX Media

NOTE: All people mentioned are on my facebook if any conformation needs to be legitimized.

Also, anyone from Fairlight please contact ALN as I know him personally (apparently has my old 17inch monitor  I used for my amiga 3000T still) and can shed some light onto this subject.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 23:03:20 by Scott Lee »
Scott Lee
SFX Media

Offline Scott Lee

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 00:37:25 »
The MODs!
-------------------------------------------------
I currently am working on putting them up on:

http://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_profile&query=85206

All 4 channel soundtracker/ protracker mods. The oldies! Some still have not been approved though 34 have I think. I have so many mods I did, its a shame they lived on the HD all these years.  I have quite a bit  of songs between mod/med/midi/ then later mp3 music never released publicly..

Songs used:
-------------------------------------------------
Crystal's Realm was in the Fantasy Demo by Crypt Roamer. He is working on getting us a copy currently.

Agile / Silents? Reflections.mod, Bust a defjam.mod, Mindtracer.mod, Fuel-injected.mod, Delusions.mod, Vapertrail.mod, Inforcer.mod, Joke's-on-you!.mod, Unsure.mod, Moodswing.mod, Beyondtheclouds,mod, Clusters-cw.mod ? ? ?  I just dont remember :(

I dont really recall guys! I gave alot out. Good news though Quinn might be on to getting some links.

The Demos!
--------------------------------------------------
As you saw via my facebook converstaions I am actively looking for the demos to I can get them on Pounet if they are not already, links and more info. It was so long so bare with me.

Like I told Gargaj / Conspiracy  a few weeks ago "I made a grave mistake many years ago as a musician. I never promoted myself very well ." Being that most of the coders were European based, and well we didnt have internet, direct communication was very bleak at this time. Im sure this played a small role in all this, though I suppose it greatly my fault not being more proactive getting the songs out.

In 2003-2004 Antti put music up here http://amigamusic.tripod.com/crystal_warrior.html

It shows up on a few sites since.

Hope this all helps,

-Scott

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 22:42:11 by Scott Lee »
Scott Lee
SFX Media

Offline Scott Lee

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 04:02:10 »
Yeah, I managed to download the archive and the mods are not too bad at all.  From the text file, it's not really clear if they are originals, or whether they have been re-tracked with modern trackers. For mods created back in 88/89, only using ST-xx samples, they sound quite good, usually, I just hear those ST-xx samples and just delete the mod lol....

I had the same problem trying to find info on him.

PS.  He has created an account over at MA and started uploading some mods there. Maybe he can drop by and upload them here too.

PPS. Is the ftp back up yet?

Hi Axxy!

These are all the original mods from soundtracker and protracker days. Totalcontrol.mod I did modify removing a few samples using Modplug tracker yesterday via wineskin as I did want some samples released. All the songs youll notice ST- sample disks. This was the "ST soundtracker sample disks" alot of us composers used in those days, I did have a 8-bit digitizer at the time, as you will hear live guitar playing in modules such as Inforcer.mod. I also did alot of my own samples youll find on various things in 8-bit glory.

All these songs are originals, no re-tracking. I do have a modern tracker (Renoise) which you can find me as Dezacrator joined year 2002 here http://forum.renoise.com/index.php?/user/125-dezacrator/ Though again I stress these are all the originals copied from my Amiga 3000T HD written in the timeframe of 1987-1991.

Best!

-Scott
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 04:05:35 by Scott Lee »
Scott Lee
SFX Media

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 22:54:09 »
Hello Scott Lee and welcome.

Thank you very much for that much highlight of your musician past ! It's much appreciated :)
 Now, if you're willing, I got some more questions.

We (read Kestra team, down at http://kestra.exotica.org.uk/) tried to locate Agile, TSL, etc. material but couldn't retrieve anything close to the clue you gave us, demo wise. As such, is it possible for you to track those down and provide us with those ?
 What was your composer nick at the time ?

Now, to give you some kind of time frame, SoundTracker came up in late 87. The Amiga 3000 desktop was out in 09/10 1990, but the A3000t was at Cebit 91 for the first time. (quoting my pal Zeg for the A3000 part :) .. thanks !)

Last, maybe, if I set up a quick FTP, would you upload your tracked material ?

Again, you feedback is really much appreciated :)
All the best,
Sylvain
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 23:19:12 by Asle »

Offline Scott Lee

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 05:36:04 »
Hi Asie,

Thank you for the greetings!

Quinn / Agile tells me "I registered just waiting to be activated" He can really help solve this and he would have more specifics on demos. The amiga I wrote nearly all my protracker/ soundtracker material on was a amiga 500, not the 3000T.

My original statement "Finally after selling my Commodore 64, I bought a Amiga 500.....Throughout this time I was writing alot of mods." Handle used during my soundtracker/protracker songs were (Crystal Warrior) with a sub handle (Dezacrator)

By the time I owned the 3000T I was writing music in in octamed 4.0 .MED format, not protracker. The main reason why in .MED is the ability to use MIDI. I just bought my first synth, a Roland JV-80 and needed midi control. At the time protracker didnt have such a feature, nor soundtracker (I think later one of the trackers got very basic midi support, though only used Octamed)

ALN / Fairlight has also been notified so I hope to see him contribute to this discussion.

I asked Gargaj this, does the .mod data have any timestamps, program created data? If so this also can provide more conformations and a roadmap of history. Im just as anxious as you to get this all clarified. Those years I have so much fun on not only the amiga, but commodore 64 BBSing, etc. it would be a shame for the information to go undocumented.

I can confirm Crypt Roamer (coder) has the Fantasy Demo and the song is "Crystal'sRealm.mod was used. You can download here:
http://modarchive.org/data/downloads.php?moduleid=173496#crystalwarrior.mod

This is the song I can confirmed at this time. We are looking for the demo to get it over to Pounet as I couldnt find it. So far this is the only other Crypt Roamer production I could find so the demo is missing off the demoscene archive that we did. It looks like missing demos from that era are still not 100% yet.
http://www.arabuusimiehet.com/break/amiga/details.php?id=9161
BBSList: Google Amiga Crypt Roamer
  CRYPTIC DEN          |+1-203-355-5162|FANTASY       |CRYPT ROAMER
   CRYPT OF ETERNITY    |+1-314-741-6009|              |PERPETUAL DEMISE
   CYBERTECH            |+1-312-685-4873|INDEPENDENT   |FLASHBACK
   CYBORG COMMAND       |+1-206-531-0817|D-TECT        |JABBAWOCKY
   DANSE MACABRE        |+1-713-324-2139|SKID ROW      |NOSFERATU

Looking forward to getting this all cleared up.

Could you email me the FTP info?

Thanks!

-Scott
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 23:31:03 by Scott Lee »
Scott Lee
SFX Media

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 12:11:47 »
Hello Scott Lee,

Thanks a lot for, yet again, more details :)
 I look forward to any old demo material you could locate !

Ok, about this A3000 stuff, I was merely giving you some kind of time frame. This _did_ happen 25 years ago :)
 And we are also interested in some MED (if spreadable).

The example musics we have are real good and I can't help but wonder how such good music was kept under the radar in the old days. Still, it's never too late to discover a new musician :).

And there's nothing to clear, btw ! It's not as if you have to justify anything, mind. Again, infos and date were raised to help adjust to long past days ;)

For FTP, I've put it back on-line (ftp://amp.dascene.net). Just log on there as 'anonymous' or 'ftp' and upload. Oh, and please, if you're still a go for that, provide us with some kind of archive. This ftp contains other material (that you can't see) but we must be able to locate YOUR music :).

All the best,
Sylvain

Offline elenzil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 19:47:50 »
howdy -
new user Elenzil here to share some reminiscing about the ancient days of old.
i've been a friend of Scott's since ... i think 5th grade or so. actually i think we were foes in 5th grade, but it's all the same thing from this distance.
so fast-forward to 1986, when Scott and i were friends instead of foes all the cool kids had commie 64s.
IMO that was the first golden era of video games. the stuff that was coming out was so wildly creative, it was awesome.
i like to think that we're embarking on the second golden era now, where tons of people are creating games without huge studios having to invest in the project. like super hexagon & spaceteam. awesome stuff.  anyhow, Scott was the dude with the commie, and we'd hang out and download games and such. there were some long-distance phone-calls involved, as i recall; good times. i remember he had a 300-baud cradle-modem, which naturally sucked, and would often fail to connect with the other side, so Scott would literally whistle into the phone receiver to establish the connection, then put it on the cradle.
but times change. eventually i got an Amiga 1000, and pretty soon Scott got a 500. i'm pretty glad we didn't end up getting the Atari ST, because they were very tempting but clearly turned out to be just a roadside attraction.
Scott continued to be the connection to the wider world of the demoscene. About 10 years ago some friends and i pooled all our demo disks from the Amiga and it was a stack about 4 feet high, nearly all of which came via Scott. (the really good ones made a stack only a foot high or so tho - ;)
A few of us started wanting to make our own demos as 'neohackers', and Scott introduced us to Mod Trackers. i think our work-horse was one of the early DOC flavours. (why DOC and not DMOC ?)  Our small group produced crude and primitive songs, but Scott's work was always professional - he was on a whole different level. Which made sense, because he was a skilled musician in his own right and proficient on just about every instrument he picked up, with the exception of woodwinds, as i recall. Scott - Y U NO FORM ROCK BAND ?  Our small Neohacker demos were profoundly amateurish (think BlitzBasic & shell scripting) and never got published beyond ourselves. That's okay, it was fun anyhow.
Then it was time for college and i drifted from Scott the way ppl do. The Amy obviously withered on the vine as we all know, and i moved on to Windows. But my minor assembly and copper programming projects back on the Amy have served me well, and definitely help with optimized coding today. (see my iOS app, Prism HD, which is a sort of realtime deconstructed raytracer)  On windows i discovered Buzz, and made a few experimental albums - http://elenzil.com/music/cln is my musical apex. I also wrote one or two plugins for Buzz which became part of some popular distributions for a while - http://www.buzzmachines.com/search.php?searchtarget=machinesdev&developer=Elenzil
Now for personal projects i'm focusing on iOS apps such as the Prism one i mentioned ( http://appliedthaumaturgics.com/prism ) and the day job is building massively scalable social gaming backends and clients.

.. so, that's a bit of color for this thread.
i hope it's not too boring.

cheers,
orion

Offline Scott Lee

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 23:02:36 »
Orion -

Thank you contributing to this discussion!

Orion bought the wonderful commodore amiga into my life, being the first Amiga 1000 ever seen in 1985, and I always appreciated that. I remember at one point, we were all talking (Chris possibly?) about making a hammered dulcimer or everyones wildwood park adventures (Shinai!!)! Playing cards? Great memories of a great time!

Orion was always a wonderfully skilled coder just like his father, kept surprising us with very intriguing program ideas and concepts way ahead of its time. I just learned of his Buzz connection, wow so cool! Going over to his place, I always learned about something new about tech, science or computers! This truly changed my life.

I am happy we have stayed connected all these years!

Thanks again Orion,

-Scott

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 23:09:28 by Scott Lee »
Scott Lee
SFX Media

Offline Scott Lee

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 23:48:17 »
Hello Scott Lee,

Thanks a lot for, yet again, more details :)
 I look forward to any old demo material you could locate !

Ok, about this A3000 stuff, I was merely giving you some kind of time frame. This _did_ happen 25 years ago :)
 And we are also interested in some MED (if spreadable).

The example musics we have are real good and I can't help but wonder how such good music was kept under the radar in the old days. Still, it's never too late to discover a new musician :).

And there's nothing to clear, btw ! It's not as if you have to justify anything, mind. Again, infos and date were raised to help adjust to long past days ;)

For FTP, I've put it back on-line (ftp://amp.dascene.net). Just log on there as 'anonymous' or 'ftp' and upload. Oh, and please, if you're still a go for that, provide us with some kind of archive. This ftp contains other material (that you can't see) but we must be able to locate YOUR music :).

All the best,
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

Ill upload about 60 songs to you. The rest Id like to go threw and have a listen for now. Its been 25 years!

The .MED music, its all hybrid unfortunately (Both midi and sample based). Currently I dont have any of the songs on my computer. :( BUT! Their is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. I do have them all stored on minidisc's in my families garage. I do not have a minidisc player any longer that works, but Ill try to track one down. 100s of more songs, alot I dont even recall myself. Basically all my music within the 1992-1996 timespan. These would have to be mp3ed off the minidisc masters.

http://i45.tinypic.com/oi8yfb.jpg

The problem with these, half the song are midi based. Winuae doesnt excatly play it too well. I havent tried Renoise (Not sure if it has Octamed support) . The other issue here is, weil, I dont own the original synths during this time. A patch can have some unique names, so the flavour of that sound I might be able to recreate. The best bet is the minidiscs, then I can have a reference to go by again :)

-Scott

Update: I just found this.
http://i46.tinypic.com/k2heeh.png

This is great news! This means I have the synth patches originally used. The synths were a JV-80, Korg 05R/W. I do have a 2080, thats great news. I donot have a korg05RW (Maybe can use my Trinity?) Anyways. a step closer.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 17:04:21 by Scott Lee »
Scott Lee
SFX Media

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 12:27:13 »
Hey Scott Lee

Thanks a lot for the archives ! Every music received is now on-line. I've also added a size-reduced picture (6Mb is just way too big for a web page :) ).
 Regarding the MED, maybe you'll be able to record the output. So, the recording would be of course off AMP scope, but still, would be nice to hear the output !

And thanks Elenzil for joining in (welcome) and giving more historical insight ! This turns out to be a great journey into the past.

You didn't say, but, did you ever enter a music compo, somewhere down the line, at any given party ?

Last, if during your digging, you unearth some old demo/pack/whatever Amiga related material, it's also of some interest :)

All the best,
Sylvain

Offline Scott Lee

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 18:03:10 »
Asie,

Good morning. The music (to my knowledge) was used just for demos, specifically maybe 4-5 songs? It was so long ago, its been a true journey to piece this puzzle back together from 25 year ago! Im not aware if any of the songs were included into other productions as music comp etc. 

I use to speak to Crypt Roamer / Quinn over the phone quite often, was apart of a few international conference calls. (I remember Bjorn Lynne was apart of one of the calls, as I use to enjoy his music)

http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Agile_(amiga)
The Mighty Quinn (sysop 'ILLICIT ILLUSION', 04/95)

Quinn I though use to speak to Elric before Agile got gobbled up by Quartex. My role was to supply music to Quinn  usually just uploading to the ILLICIT ILLUSION though never spoke to the European coders directly (I wasn't running a BBS at this time).

Quinn registered on AMP.dascene.net and is waiting approval, as did ALN / Fairlight so hopefully we can get a clearer recollection of past events.

Best Regards,
Scott
Scott Lee
SFX Media