Author Topic: Dezacrator / Crystal Warrior's Musicdisk by Fantasy (Amiga)  (Read 47388 times)

Offline aLn

• View Profile
Re: Dezacrator / Crystal Warrior's Musicdisk by Fantasy (Amiga)
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 21:55:57 »
Hey All!

Another new user here to talk about scene history and Scott/Crystal Warrior/Dezacrator.  

As an introduction, I've been involved in one computer scene or another since the late 80's, but only really active in the demo scene since the mid 90's.  I'm probably most known as aln from Fairlight, where I worked on a lot of productions from 2000-2006, such as Che Guevara ( http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=18339 ), Meet The Family ( http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=24491 ) , and In Crapula Veritas ( http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=12088 ).  

I'm something of a ghost in the scene as well, I think in part, because like Scott, I am also from the US, which makes going to demo  parties and other gatherings not too common.  I think I only entered one gfx compo, Assembly 2000 Oldschool Graphics, and with that I had to have Kure^Whelpz submit the pic for me.

I remember Scott had a BBS and going to his house and listening to c64 music he was working on.  His nick/handle was Crystal Warrior at that time and I don't even remember what mine was.  It was all pretty impressive to me! We both eventually got Amigas, and that's when I remember him showing me Amiga demos.   The jump from 8-bit to 16-bit was a revolution to me!   Scott's music and the productions he was involved in were beyond me at the time, but I knew I wanted to be a part of that world.  I remember getting deluxe paint and starting to pixel.   I couldn't call boards overseas, and mail swapping across the Atlantic seemed unrealistic, so most of my swapping was done in person or via local BBS, and Scott was a big part of that.   There was a US scene, it just seemed smaller, more isolated/fragmented, and less organized.  I think a lot of the work from people in the US has been lost on moldy floppies.  It wasn't until the internet that I contacted people in various groups and eventually found myself in Fairlight.

I moved around a lot, and have been in and out of touch with Scott over the years, but he has continued to do music all this time and is one of the most 'oldskool' sceners  I know ;P   Hopefully more of his music can make it to the scene database.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 22:01:32 by aLn »

Offline Axxy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 23:22:21 »
I've really enjoyed reading this thread so far, including listening to some good old (new) fashioned mods. I'm still amazed that not one of your modules ever escaped into the wild until now.

From what I remember, the demoscene wasn't as big over the pond as it was in Europe, but there sure was a lot of talented musicians from the US and Canada.

Offline Scott Lee

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 04:24:28 »
Hey All!

Another new user here to talk about scene history and Scott/Crystal Warrior/Dezacrator.  

As an introduction, I've been involved in one computer scene or another since the late 80's, but only really active in the demo scene since the mid 90's.  I'm probably most known as aln from Fairlight, where I worked on a lot of productions from 2000-2006, such as Che Guevara ( http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=18339 ), Meet The Family ( http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=24491 ) , and In Crapula Veritas ( http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=12088 ).  

I'm something of a ghost in the scene as well, I think in part, because like Scott, I am also from the US, which makes going to demo  parties and other gatherings not too common.  I think I only entered one gfx compo, Assembly 2000 Oldschool Graphics, and with that I had to have Kure^Whelpz submit the pic for me.

I remember Scott had a BBS and going to his house and listening to c64 music he was working on.  His nick/handle was Crystal Warrior at that time and I don't even remember what mine was.  It was all pretty impressive to me! We both eventually got Amigas, and that's when I remember him showing me Amiga demos.   The jump from 8-bit to 16-bit was a revolution to me!   Scott's music and the productions he was involved in were beyond me at the time, but I knew I wanted to be a part of that world.  I remember getting deluxe paint and starting to pixel.   I couldn't call boards overseas, and mail swapping across the Atlantic seemed unrealistic, so most of my swapping was done in person or via local BBS, and Scott was a big part of that.   There was a US scene, it just seemed smaller, more isolated/fragmented, and less organized.  I think a lot of the work from people in the US has been lost on moldy floppies.  It wasn't until the internet that I contacted people in various groups and eventually found myself in Fairlight.

I moved around a lot, and have been in and out of touch with Scott over the years, but he has continued to do music all this time and is one of the most 'oldskool' sceners  I know ;P   Hopefully more of his music can make it to the scene database.

aLn!

Somehow my 17 inch monitor got into the hands of aLn from the Amiga 3000T! Was this Sean's doing? :) Im really happy you got some use out of it before blowing up! I might of gave it to you - ugh so long ago. Chris bought the 3000T but before that, Sean made a CD backup (cd backups were pretty new at the time. 1993-1994?) so I still have my old 3000T I bought after the 500. The Floppies are at Seans (Maybe has the Fantasy demo?)

Thanks you so much for heading over here bring light where only tenebrae exists. I completely agree, a US moment was active, it was a really magical time of like-minded thinkers. The problem was as ALn pointed out, we never had the demo parties locally, no real contact with coders. Our productions were usually delt with the BBS system, threw many hands. Moldy floppies are probably the resting place for alot of the late 80s work. I remember having alot more demos, unique things from that time. I think Sean has alot of my old floppies still. Goldmine? Im not sure to be honest. But maybe he can find more.

This adventure has left me feeling like a archaeologist exploring a tomb, pulling puzzle pieces that are missing! aLn was always the legendary stateside graphic artist, showcasing amazing work. Sean and I were always amazed, as he was a local talent living in Newbury Park at the time. aLn, do you remember Red Sector BBS ran by Dr. Chip, Pipeline BBS (Carlos aka Surfer Bob). The great White North (Moorpark, Ca) The Barter's Exchange, another BBS I dont recall the name with Sysop Trammer? (If I remember correctly, he used Trammer becuase he worked down at Universal studios as a Tour guide).  Red Sector (One?) BBS and Pipeline were the only amiga bbs'es at the time, most were C64s.

With the age of the internet, it is so easy just to pull up a wiki or data. Unfortunately, it starts middle of the 1990's. Thanks for bring back so many fond memories from the pre-internet era!

Best Regards,
Scott Lee
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:26:46 by Scott Lee »
Scott Lee
SFX Media

Offline aLn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 07:30:52 »

aLn!

Somehow my 17 inch monitor got into the hands of aLn from the Amiga 3000T! Was this Sean's doing? :) Im really happy you got some use out of it before blowing up! I might of gave it to you - ugh so long ago. Chris bought the 3000T but before that, Sean made a CD backup (cd backups were pretty new at the time. 1993-1994?) so I still have my old 3000T I bought after the 500. The Floppies are at Seans (Maybe has the Fantasy demo?)

Thanks you so much for heading over here bring light where only tenebrae exists. I completely agree, a US moment was active, it was a really magical time of like-minded thinkers. The problem was as ALn pointed out, we never had the demo parties locally, no real contact with coders. Our productions were usually delt with the BBS system, threw many hands. Moldy floppies are probably the resting place for alot of the late 80s work. I remember having alot more demos, unique things from that time. I think Sean has alot of my old floppies still. Goldmine? Im not sure to be honest. But maybe he can find more.

This adventure has left me feeling like a archaeologist exploring a tomb, pulling puzzle pieces that are missing! aLn was always the legendary stateside graphic artist, showcasing amazing work. Sean and I were always amazed, as he was a local talent living in Newbury Park at the time. aLn, do you remember Red Sector BBS ran by Dr. Chip, Pipeline BBS (Carlos aka Surfer Bob). The great White North (Moorpark, Ca) The Barter's Exchange, another BBS I dont recall the name with Sysop Trammer? (If I remember correctly, he used Trammer becuase he worked down at Universal studios as a Tour guide).  Red Sector (One?) BBS and Pipeline were the only amiga bbs'es at the time, most were C64s.

With the age of the internet, it is so easy just to pull up a wiki or data. Unfortunately, it starts middle of the 1990's. Thanks for bring back so many fond memories from the pre-internet era!

Best Regards,
Scott Lee

Hey Scott!

So many memories!  It would be great to turn some of those remaining floppies into ADF files and see what is on them.   I know I've lost many floppies over the years.  All gone now.

I remember all of those boards, as well as the Amiga Trading Board, or maybe it was just the Trading Post? And don't forget all the C64 boards with the tricks you could do using MCI and C64 graphic commands, a lot of fun!

It really was a fun time, computer users were rare, and finding a fellow c64 or amiga user was also finding a new friend.  Back then making music or graphics with a computer was almost unheard of outside the little scene circle.  Most people didn't even knew you could do such things with a computer!  This is part of what made the amiga so special.

Nice to see Orion on here as well, I remember meeting him a few times back in the day!

Best,
-Alan

Offline Scott Lee

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 07:47:43 »
Indeed aLn,

Cough cough... I still have this funny little box with a keypad, that makes repetitive noises that doesn't sound like a phone keypad.. hmm? ? Yes the MCI commands on c-net bbses were fun! We could have some great animated title screens, text flipping etc.

I remember trading post! ha

I am glad we have re connected! This journey has re invigorated a need to find more. More good news, I just found about 10 .med / midi synth songs from the amiga! This is the old style music with midi / half tracker. I do need to find a minidisc player, hopefully soon.

Best,
Scott

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:58:34 by Scott Lee »
Scott Lee
SFX Media

Offline elenzil

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 18:48:46 »
And thanks Elenzil for joining in (welcome) and giving more historical insight ! This turns out to be a great journey into the past.

You didn't say, but, did you ever enter a music compo, somewhere down the line, at any given party ?

Last, if during your digging, you unearth some old demo/pack/whatever Amiga related material, it's also of some interest

Thanks Sylvain!

nope, my efforts at music and demos never got out into the broader world.
i'll let you know if i find some cool Amiga material.  I've jettisoned all of mine,
but my buddy Rashid was way more conscientious about archiving things; i'll poke around.

Orion

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Amiga Music Preservation
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 11:18:32 »
Thanks Sylvain!

nope, my efforts at music and demos never got out into the broader world.
i'll let you know if i find some cool Amiga material.  I've jettisoned all of mine,
but my buddy Rashid was way more conscientious about archiving things; i'll poke around.

Orion
no, thank YOU for checking !
Looking forward to anything that may pop up :)

Offline quinn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 01:14:34 »
Sorry it took me so long to get on here.

I played one of your old tunes for someone a week ago and they thought they were listening to an EDM channel on Sirius.  It was pretty cool that it was a ~20 year old song from someone I knew. 

What always blew me away about Scott was how I could play a song over the phone and he could play it by ear on guitar.  He used to tab things out for me to learn before the concept of finding tab online was really a thing.  He was a monster, teasing me by playing Joe Satriani riffs that I was really never going go be able to play.  Makes me want to start to practice again.

I also have this vivid memory about Scott saying he was working on some show called "Jeff Foxworthy". I was like, who?

I found some Agile demos online but can't find what we are looking for.  We need to track down Jason, I think he would have them.  He landed in the US and worked on some big titles.  Would really like to find him again.  I also want to find Stu/Undertaker.  I eventually met Peter/Conqueror when he came to the US for a conference years ago.  He probably has contact info for some guys, I will try to get in touch with him.

What is the best place for tracking people down?  I remeber In Media Res but it looks like it is gone now. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Offline Scott Lee

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 05:18:02 »
Thanks Josh for taking the time to reflex on past events. You were a good friend state side that kept the excitement and fun into music creation alive. Its those moments that forged a greater influence into what I do today, much appreciated!

I did the interview writeup and email summited. Here is another copy just in case.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the interview to which I'd like you to answer. Please return it
to me when finnished. thanx very much. Please add a scanned picture of
yourself too!

take care..... crown/cryptoburners   (email it back at: crown[att]dascene[dott]net)

Handle:
Scott Lee

ex-Handle(s):
Crystal Warrior / Micro Pro / Dezacrator

Group:
No group at the moment.

ex-Group(s):
Agile (AGL), Fantasy (FSY), The Silents (TSL)

Family name:
Scott Lee

Given names:
-----

Address:
Earth, Milkyway Lane. (though I might be a alien!)

Phone:

Date of birth:
05/22/1972

Email: dezacrator@yahoo.com

Site Address:
http://scottlee.tk
http://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_profile&query=85206
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee
https://www.facebook.com/sfxmedia

1-How did your interest for computers start? Which year was that?

My first exposure to a computer was a Commodore PET in 1979. It was at my friend Brad's house living in Westlake, Ca. At the time I was a young gamer on the Magnavox Odyssey 2 though had great interests in the actual creative process of video games. This led me to purchase my first computer, a Commodore 64 in 1982.

2-What machines did you previously have? What did you do with them?
My first computer was a Commodore 64.  This exposed me to BBSing, SID music and graphics that til this day, has been the major role in my life. During these years I had purchased the fast Westridge "300 baud modem" (upgrading not too long after) and Ran a C-NET BBS here on the west coast called (Commodore Connection) under the Sysop handle (Micro Pro). It was semi popular though got alot more traffic when I converted the names to (The Druid's Keep with my Sysop alas was Crystal Warrior) in Westlake, Ca USA. A bit of time passed and my friend Orion (Mage) dad just bough a new computer system as he was a developer at the time called a "Commodore Amiga 1000" from 1985-86 and instantly was blown away. The programs I remember most were Starglider 1, Marble Madness and seeing Juggler. It just blew my mind so that summer I worked incredibility hard at 14 years old, doing whatever I could to save to buy an amiga for myself.

3-For what specific reason did you end up making music rather than gfx, coding?
My father was a great influence. As a child I use to sing to Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love when I was 3 years old so the music was already injected into my persona. My father was a great hobbits guitar player, so when I was old enough, made a drum set out of car washing shammies and buckets. My parents decided if they must listen to drums, then we might as well be a real set (A Pearl Drum set). During this time, being a drummer and guitarist, I was heavily composing SIDs based music! It was my first taste into computer based (sequencing) where I could conduct my own music without band members! I was hooked.

I was also active in art and graphic design during the 1980s, though it was mainly for fun or support for my musical content.

4-Which composing programs have you been using? Which one in particular?
I lost all my old Commodore 64 SIDs long ago. Still hoping one day Ill find them but not holding my breath. So this journey must start at the Amiga. I  was introduced to the original soundtracker 1.0 from Karsten Obarski! I think this was 1987 (No wiki heh) I loved the Crystal Hammer soundtrack (Hey and it had part of my name!) Protrackjer was the next step. I did use Bars and Pipes a bit for a more traditional feeling sequencer, though my next leap was OctaMED during this time period.

5-With which module did you feel you had reached your goal?
I think musicians are always reaching, always evolving. I feel like every song is a story being told. This story has not met its end, so Ill keep thinking of that goal ;)

6-Is there a tune you would like not to remember? For what reason?
I have some of these in my unreleased. Are they bad songs, no, but found some wackiness in my musical choices. The primary culpret was Microdeal: AMAS 8-bit sound digitizer. Got a little crazy with sampling. Maybe Ill release these one day, though cover my eyes in the process.

7-In your opinion, what's the value of a music in a demo, game?

A must! A custom soundtrack made for a game tells just as much as a story. Every meeting, every decision, and a long development cycle can mold and shape a soundtrack to the final milestone. I don't think will see a modern day Turrican with a placement soundtrack. For the most part, stock music usually doesn't fit right in a end products. Now, their are always exceptions to this rule which I've heard it work. The problem is creative type see how important a tailor made soundtrack is in delivery.

After months of meetings, placement considerations, making sure the sound design audio dynamics sit right on top of a composition, it is never as simple as drag and drop.

Audio can tell just as much of a story in a finish product.

8-At present, are you still composing? For professional or leisure purposes?

I started  working professionally as a sound designer / audio director / song composer in 1992 and have done so ever since. Done quite a few titles, here are a some of the companies I've had the pleasure to work with. Intel, REZN8, 7-Day Software, Packard Bell, Volition Inc, THQ, Novalogic, CBS Studios (Radford, Ca), etc.

Right now I just finished the music for the video game "Repulze" from the sweedish developer Pixelbite. Fun and fast action gaming, can't wait for the release.

9-What do you think of today's pieces of music such as mpeg,wave,midi,etc...?

Im a huge fan of having less while producing something far greater! This is the demo sub culture. to showcase the human spirit, creativity exceeding creative expectations. I love tech, though mostly sit listen to tracker based music and very early trance / soundtracks.

10-Could you tell us some of your all times favourite tunes?

Commodore 64:
Fred Gray - Mutants, Martin Galway - Ye Are Kung Fu, Hyper Sports, Mikie, Rambo First Blood Part 2, Ken Arnold (All ultima music!) Ghost & Goblins (Forget composer) comes to mind.

Amiga:
Fleshbrain, Dr Awesome, Jester, Chris Huelsbeck, Lizardking, Romero Knight are all excellent!

11-Are you planning to make an audio cd with some of your music remastered?
I'd consider it. Like Summoner from THQ, if enough want the songs I just may do it. Time will tell.

12-What bands are you currently listening to?

I usually listen to alot of mods! This allows me to stick with my roots, focus on that "working with less" ideal. Otherwise its Depeche Mode, Information Society, Hybrid Throry,  Rank 1, etc. I listen to alot of compilations.

13-What does/did the amiga/c64 scene give you?
The best parts of my life. It fueled my creative desire to push, evolve and create something out from nothing. It was a time were tech was not for the masses, but a underground ideal of friendship and common visions. Their was no wiki, no net to pull data from, you have to figure out "how to" or have a ton of fun trying.

14-Are you still active in the scene these days?

I watch from afar these days. I wouldn't mind getting more proactive, who knows? I truly do still admire all the talent in this culture.

15-Anyone to greet? Anything left to say? Feel free...
Greetings!

Greets go out to: Melon Dezign, Dr. Awesome, Fleshbrain, Mage (Elenzil), Quinn (Agile), Crypt Roamer, Thrash Maniac, Hackrat (Fantasy), Dr. Chip (Red Sector), Surfer Bob, Gizmo, The Red sector team, Bamiga, Defjam, Irn_Mdn, Fairlight, and the rest of the old timers.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:26:46 by Scott Lee »
Scott Lee
SFX Media

Offline Asle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Amiga Music Preservation
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 11:21:26 »
The interview is now on-line, with my apologizes for the delay. I simply overlooked the mail :(.
Huge thanks !

Offline Scott Lee

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 07:42:04 »
The interview is now on-line, with my apologizes for the delay. I simply overlooked the mail :(.
Huge thanks !

Thank you Asle for your time and dedication on this. Much appreciated.

Best,

Scott Lee
Scott Lee
SFX Media

Offline Scott Lee

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 03:33:25 »
I just did a video of a voice interview for the time I spent at Volition Inc composing OST's for video games. THQ. I do speak of the early days on the c64 and amiga and the demoscene. Links to this website. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcTZpEj530I
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 03:36:04 by Scott Lee »
Scott Lee
SFX Media

Offline Prime

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 05:30:05 »

Scott,

Its been a long time!
I remember every time going over to your house, almost getting attacked by your little Lhasa Apso dog tiger?

You were the main reason I actually bought an Amiga 500.

If I remember correctly, you actually started off as a drummer, sold your drum set and bought a Marshall mini stack.
It was a pretty sweet setup!
I can remember trading riffs over the phone.

Didn't you say that you took lessons from Doug Aldrich? He has gone on to be pretty famous.

In the tracker world, I can remember you writing background rhythm tracks and jamming these awesome guitar solo's over them!
I have to admit I was jealous, because you had such an awesome ear for music, that it came naturally to you!

You wrote this one tracker song that was awesome, it had this heavily distorted guitar tone and it rocked! I dont remember what it was called to save my life, but it would be awesome if you could dig it up!

Joe
www.sccaners.org
The Southern California Commodore & Amiga Networkers

Offline Scott Lee

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 19:07:01 »
Joe!

Thank you for those kind words. Yes Doug was my teacher for a bit at Instrumental Music on Thousand Oaks back in the day. Funny you remembered, as you just reminded me. hah

I guess that what makes this journey so fun, sometimes it just takes a single puzzle piece to unlock a moment. I had a great time with you all in those days, reminiscing just reminds me how magical of a time it truly was.

Wow, cool site Joe. Never seen this. Do you guys still do meetings?

Best Regards,

Scott Lee
SFX Media
Scott Lee
SFX Media

Offline Scott Lee

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 23:07:01 »
A few more details I wanted to add to this discussion.

I finally found my BBSLIST info here on the national bbslist registry.

http://bbslist.textfiles.com/805/

(Search for Druid's Keep Westlake)

Also I just started doing a hollywood club here in Hollywood, Ca that is supporting full demo scene content!

Gargaj was kind enough to allow Conspiriacy demos to be played. My idea is to expose more of the scene to a new crowd!

Kevin Macks Son is Ray Mack and our main musician! Here check out who Kevin Mack is.

http://zine.bitfellas.org/article.php?zine=14&id=16

This is huge for the people that love this scene! Lastly, it will be broadcasted worldwide on Digital Imported FM Radio!

https://www.facebook.com/events/310099675787186/

Lastly here was our privious party, no demoscene stuff that time but this is just the beginning of this reboot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l90kyt_ueA

Best,
Scott Lee
Lumenite
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 23:11:49 by Scott Lee »
Scott Lee
SFX Media