Greetings from Wally (Spain)

Started by Wally, May 10, 2013, 08:21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally

Hello everybody,

I've been an AMP user during last years and decided to register to be able to contribute a little to the site.

I did some modules on PC back from 1995 to 2005, which I think they are almost all in the database already and I was one of the founders of TLOTB group.

Throughout the years I used plenty of different trackers, ranging from WhackerTracker or ScreamTracker 2 to the more recent Skale Tracker, but my releases were mainly tracked in ST3 and FT2 (never really an IT fan).

I just wanted to thank the AMP staff for creating and keeping this project alive.

Asle

Hello and welcome :)
If I compile some questions for you, would you mind answering them ? (all about your tracking days ;) )

Wally


Asle

All right. Please hold on until the week-end. Just too much to do until then.
And thanks for the uploaded musics (I figured it was you ;) )

Cheers
Sylvain

Axxy

QuoteAnd thanks for the uploaded musics (I figured it was you  )

Now I have my modlist in database format, I have been running a few dupe queries over it. Jesus, another 200-300 modules with slight variations in them that were dupes.

The Wally modules came about as I had all modules by Wally grouped together, not realising there were 3 different Wally's. Now sorted and the 5 uploaded AMP didn't have.  ;)

Asle

ah sorry about the confusion, and thanks for the files !
Note that all have 9 extra bytes at the end and one is unplayable since two loop len are loop end :)

Asle

Quote from: Asle on May 16, 2013, 20:24:46
All right. Please hold on until the week-end. Just too much to do until then.
OK, questions are delayed. I've going through TLOTB (and other) prods so as to have more insight of the context of some musics. But this actions takes far more time than expected. I've also have to run through some Spanish parties results ... ah, well...
Please, bear with me a little longer ;)

Asle

oh well, I can complete the set of questions later I guess. Let try the following ones, if you still feel like it :)

1. In your presentation entry in AMP forum, you explain being one of the founder of TLOTB. How did this happen ? Can you tell us more about how it came to be ?

2. And then we know of Inside, however, I've found no production. Was something released by this group ?

3. Music wise, there seem to be a wide variety of genre. Plain melodious, like "Sad and Unavoidable", noise-ish, like "Princesa Sinfarosa Mix", demo-ish like "I better quit" or even chip-ish like "Trikanoid". Is there any you feel more confortable with ? The real question may be : do you compose with a purpose in mind or adapt afterwards for a given project ?

4. can you tell us the real title of FST.APOCALYP (coming from Apocalipsys demo by TLOTB) ?

5. MOD.Destination, your first music (or so you commented in the Wally's Musicdisk vol 1). How do you feel today about your first tracking experience ?

5bis. Was there ever a Vol 2 of this musicdisk ?

Wally

#8
Quote from: Axxy on May 17, 2013, 14:58:04
The Wally modules came about as I had all modules by Wally grouped together, not realising there were 3 different Wally's.
I even met a fourth one from Italy at Wired'96 ;D. Not really a musician, but he probably presented this Dustbin module at Mekka'97 (http://amp.dascene.net/analyzer2.php?idx=18455)

Quote from: Axxy on May 17, 2013, 14:58:04
Now sorted and the 5 uploaded AMP didn't have.  ;)
Thanks for uploading the one from 'Sheer Heart Attack' demo. A really unique coop by DEM and Evelred, two of the best Spanish trackers of all time!

Wally

#9
Quote from: Asle on May 16, 2013, 20:24:46
And thanks for the uploaded musics (I figured it was you ;) )
To be honest, I don't remember now if I ever uploaded some of my mods to Modland or AMP  :-\

I really feel honored by your interest :P

Quote from: Asle on May 19, 2013, 21:32:56
1. In your presentation entry in AMP forum, you explain being one of the founder of TLOTB. How did this happen ? Can you tell us more about how it came to be ?
Memories faint, but I will try to remember. At the very first (and this is not common knowledge), TLOTB was a little local crack group led by BladeRunner. In the beginning of 1994, we met each other while role playing with common friends and found we both were interested in demoscene. I already was playing with trackers and had some modules of my own, so BladeRunner asked me to join and we used FC's MusicDiscPlayer to release my modules as the first TLOTB demo-related release.

Quote from: Asle on May 19, 2013, 21:32:56
2. And then we know of Inside, however, I've found no production. Was something released by this group ?
Inside was formed at Euskal Party 6, IIRC. At that time there were several music groups like Five Musicians, Tokyo Dawn Records... Some friends (Awesome, Evelred, Naif, Noisy Man, Smash!, Sergio DJ, Wally, Wonder) gathered at the party and thought... why not a Spanish music group? There were some Inside music releases at first and a forever planned music disk which never was  :). People slowly lost interest in the group and became one of the most unproductive in the scene. A common joke when we met was asking each other about the next Inside release  ;D.

Quote from: Asle on May 19, 2013, 21:32:56
3. Music wise, there seem to be a wide variety of genre. Plain melodious, like "Sad and Unavoidable", noise-ish, like "Princesa Sinfarosa Mix", demo-ish like "I better quit" or even chip-ish like "Trikanoid". Is there any you feel more confortable with ? The real question may be : do you compose with a purpose in mind or adapt afterwards for a given project ?
I've never considered myself a real musician and I can't even describe how my creative process was. I was actually interested in the limitations of the module format, and that interest got lost when mp3 started to be common place. In my case, I composed some tunes with no other purpose in mind but to track something that 'sounded good' in my head (e.g. 'I better quit') while I created others with specific characteristics for a project (e.g. 'Trikanoid')

Quote from: Asle on May 19, 2013, 21:32:56
4. can you tell us the real title of FST.APOCALYP (coming from Apocalipsys demo by TLOTB) ?
Well, the real name of the demo is 'Apocalypse' (pou√ęt got it wrong  :P) and I guess that was the name of the tune.

Quote from: Asle on May 19, 2013, 21:32:56
5. MOD.Destination, your first music (or so you commented in the Wally's Musicdisk vol 1). How do you feel today about your first tracking experience ?
Ashamed  :-[ and nostalgic   :). It is a cover of Megabeat, an ancient Spanish techno group (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1hlxfQ6by8) and that's why I'm credited as 'adapter'. I really needed to channel my teenager creativity and tracking was a great experience which I enjoyed. I look back now and I am happy I didn't try to do it for a living :P.

Quote from: Asle on May 19, 2013, 21:32:56
5bis. Was there ever a Vol 2 of this musicdisk ?
Maybe it was considered at first, but never seriously by me later.

Axxy

QuoteThanks for uploading the one from 'Sheer Heart Attack' demo. A really unique coop by DEM and Evelred, two of the best Spanish trackers of all time!

Asle found that one....  I'm enjoying listening to it as I type this!  ;)


QuoteTo be honest, I don't remember now if I ever uploaded some of my mods to Modland or AMP 

Even if you hadn't, there were plenty of other people that might have uploaded them anyway.  Surprised you didn't have a profile over at ModArchive to be honest.


QuoteSome friends (Awesome, Evelred, Naif, Noisy Man, Smash!, Sergio DJ, Wally, Wonder) gathered at the party and thought...

Some talent in that list alone, including possibly my favourite tracker, Awesome....  Do you still keep in touch with any of them?

Asle

Quote from: Axxy on May 20, 2013, 12:23:12
QuoteThanks for uploading the one from 'Sheer Heart Attack' demo. A really unique coop by DEM and Evelred, two of the best Spanish trackers of all time!

Asle found that one....  I'm enjoying listening to it as I type this!  ;)
yup, while digging up some TLOTB productions.

Quote from: Axxy on May 20, 2013, 12:23:12
QuoteSome friends (Awesome, Evelred, Naif, Noisy Man, Smash!, Sergio DJ, Wally, Wonder) gathered at the party and thought...

Some talent in that list alone, including possibly my favourite tracker, Awesome....  Do you still keep in touch with any of them?
I'll remain an Uncle Tom or Bug hard fan, no matter what. Still, I have to agree. Very good musicians, that's for sure :)

Wally

Quote from: Axxy on May 20, 2013, 12:23:12
QuoteSome friends (Awesome, Evelred, Naif, Noisy Man, Smash!, Sergio DJ, Wally, Wonder) gathered at the party and thought...
Some talent in that list alone, including possibly my favourite tracker, Awesome....  Do you still keep in touch with any of them?
Great tracker and a very nice person indeed. Not actually in touch, but sometimes a path crosses (most of us have now an IT-related career) and we update each other about the rest :P.